Howard Fund

Including submissions to John Hogg Prize, Howard Fund, and Catalyst
AlexQ23
newcomer

Howard Fund

Postby AlexQ23 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello! I have a great project that I want to propose to Howard Fund. Is-it still active? Can we still submit some lines? If yes, will it be better to send it by mail or e-mai? Let me know. Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Howard Fund

Postby admin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Definitely by email! or you can post the bones of it here.
Regards
AYRS Web Admin

AlexQ23
newcomer

Postby AlexQ23 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Designing a small boat is not an easy task. The principal difficulty encountered comes from the weight of the crew members that could totalise almost half the entire mass of the boat it-self. The mobility of this weight compromised greatly boat lines and stability. So, imagine now, that you want to design a performing, easy towable, seaworthy family micro-cruiser. There, you will hit a real challenge.
The boat should be as light as possible to be easily towable behind a small car but, in the mean time, it should be well ballasted to own the suitable stability when sailing on rough sea. It should be small enough to keep the ballast weight as low as possible and still be efficient and roomy to accommodate a small family aboard. To be fast, we need to maximize the flotation length and minimize wetted surface and drag of hull and appendages. Resolving this equation looks practically impossible to accomplish.
The development of a new rig named “roto-duplex”, will help to solve, at least partially, this paradoxical assessment. But we have also to design and build a different type of craft especially dedicated to this kind of rig. That’s how Kasala project was born.
Kasala is a double chine plywood hull of 5,5m /18’ length, a beam of 2,3 m/7’ 8’’ and a minimum draft of 0,315 m / 12”. With a STIX of nearly 19, it has a great stability and can carry 23 m² divided in two main sails.
Despite this new kind of rig, several other features were investigate and included in this design:
- High hull and appendages efficiency
- Oscillating single rudder
- Shock proof keel arrangement
- Impact resistant lower plywood panels
- Singular accommodation configuration
- Ergonomic cockpit
- Permanently mount crutches
- Insubmersibility through the help of closed cell foam mattresses
- Innovative main-sail hook
- Powerful sculling oar
- Efficient anchor
Kasala looks to me to be a perfect candidate to the Howard Fund grant. I will send by mail a complete documentation to the subject to the AYRS editor for future investigation. If some of you are interested, feel free to ask for more information.

Fredthecharlie
Committee Member

Postby Fredthecharlie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 am

Sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing the full details but what is meant by oscillating rudder?
FCB

AlexQ23
newcomer

Postby AlexQ23 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Rather than words, a picture will show you what I call an oscillating rudder. But if you want to rename it, feel free! And here is the explanation I give in the presentation:
“I decided to use a single rudder, even if the hull shape, from a plan view, looks like a wedge. With this kind of hull, when the boat reaches important heeling angles, a large surface of the rudder will pull out of the water. In response to this, KASALA’s rudder assembly will be able to swing from one side to the other on a circular sector bolted onto the transom. Handy ropes will operate its movements. By using a single rudder, we reduce weight, wetted surface and keep a lively tiller.
Despite this, one can find a NACA 0010 profile compensate rudder that could be lifted completely out of the water when beaching.”
But,sorry I don't know how to insert a pic! Alex.

Fredthecharlie
Committee Member

Postby Fredthecharlie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:02 am

Thank you for the explanation, if I understand it properly it means that th rudder mout swings to the leward side of the boat and offers the benefit of twin rudders using only one.
FCB

Return to “Technical Papers for review and comment”